Tuesday, March 22, 2011

FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES

John 15:14-15 (Message) "You are my friends when you do the things I command you.  I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father."

From the very beginning of creation, the Lord wanted to have someone He could friend with.  Everyone needs someone to communicate with, someone to share love with, and the Lord wanted to share all His creation, all He had made with someone that would appreciate it and appreciate and love Him.  It did not work out right away like He wanted.  You notice, I did not say not like He planned, as I don't believe any of God's plans were not perfected when He made man.  The Lord can see from the beginning to the very end so, yes, His plans were just what happened throughout history.  When He gave free will to man, He knew exactly what would happen, what temptations would occur and how each man on earth would regard them.  Some folks have been able to walk through life, tempted very little.  Some others, myself included, have been drawn off course of what we would have chosen to walk (hind sight), but because of the grace and love of God, have been restored and returned to the walk of the righteous. But again, here I am off track.

The Father wanted friends.  He sent His Son to earth to bring redemption to His children, so they could be restored to Himself, be as one with Him.  Jesus made wonderful friends on earth.  Can you imagine what it must have been like to walk with Jesus.  To stand beside Him in wonder and awe when He healed the sick, raised the dead?  Can you imagine it?  All I can think is what an amazing life the disciples lived, do you think they felt it?  Have you ever been friends with someone that you thought was the best thing since sliced bread?  I know, but those are the words I grew up with.  But a friend that you could count on all the time, no matter what was happening, just pick up the phone and they were there.  There is a country song that says "You find out who your friends are, they will drop everything to get to where you are" or something like that.  But the gist of it is that no matter what, no matter what they are doing, they drop it to come to you aid.  I remember, my sister-in-law and I were going to a concert downtown and we walked out of the house and I had locked my keys inside the house. My purse was locked inside the car and we were stuck. She had my close friend's phone number on her cell, and we called them. They had supper cooking, but turned it off and drove about 15 miles from their house to mine to come and unlock my door. That is the kind of friend I am speaking of.  Real friends.  And were happy to do it for us.

Because I am a redeemed child of God, washed in the blood of the Lamb, I am a friend of God.  I have been returned to Him, gathered in His arms like a long lost friend (that I was) and cradled in that glow of love of the Father, and called "My friend" by the Most-High God. He wants to do thing for me all the time, He is happy to do them. He loves me so much.  My God shares His creation with me, He visits with me and shares His thoughts, He has shared dreams with me, and thank You Lord, shared His plans for my future with me.  I have my precious earthly friends, but I have Friends in high places.  I have my adored Father in Heaven, I have my blessing, the Holy Spirit, who dwells within me and never leaves me, and I have another friend, His name is Jesus.  I know He is my friend, not only is it written in His Word, but HE is written on my heart.  With Friends as these, in spirit and truth, I will never be alone, I will never have lack, I will never have doubt, I will never fail.  As long as I keep my Lord's commands, follow after Him alone, keep my eyes on Jesus, yield to the Holy Spirit's teaching and guidance and listen intently to every word spoken by my Father, I will not fail. There is a place for me to be seated one day in high places with my Friends, who at that time will be my Mighty God and my Bridegroom.  I can be content in my present because I know without a doubt of my future.

On this 22nd day of March, 2011, ever so in love am I with my God, my wonderful Lord.  I sing praises to Your Name, O Lord, praises to Your name as I am so blessed; I have Friends in High Places.

No comments:

Post a Comment