Monday, July 11, 2011

THE SECRET IS JESUS

Philippians 4:12  "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want.  I just finished reading a book by Adrian Rogers entitled "The Lord is my Shepherd, Reflections on God's Loving Care."  It was set in six sections and I wanted to say a few things about what I took away with me from reading this.

The Shepherd we need was the first section.  I learned that there is nothing that the Lord is not wanting to do for me, that there is nothing He cannot and will not supply when I seek Him and ask.  He knows what I need each day, and He could supply it automatically, but He waits for me to feel the lack in myself and come to Him and ask that He help me.  I need my Lord, and having laid all  pride, all thoughts of self sufficiency aside, I go to my Lord daily and ask for what I need, having faith that He will supply those needs.  Notice here that I have used the word need, and that is what I ask for.  I do not ever want to take advantage of my Father's love for sheer extravagance, as I feel being His child is sufficient, it to me is of great delight.

The next part was The Perfect Shepherd.  My Lord is perfect.  He walked this earth and was tempted just as I, but He surcomed not to temptation.  I know I have failed so often in this but I also know that as He was perfect, my Lord Jesus also had knowledge of the temptation.  Forgiven, I can stand in His perfection before the Father and be drawn into His presence.

The Shepherd of the Second Chance.  Here is where I found again, evidence of how loved I am by the Lord.  Casting aside my circumstances, my disobedience and sin, the Lord lifted me up from the pit I was in and washed me in His precious blood shed for me, and cleansed me from the inside out making me acceptable to the Father.  My sins forgiven, His mercy and grace poured over me daily to keep me pure in the eyes of the Father.  My precious Lord, giving all, each day, a second chance.  When our hearts are given to worshiping and adoring Him, when we fail, He once again, provides a second change through His sacrifice on the cross.

The Shepherd of the Dying.  I know that my Lord will never leave me.  There are so many things that we do not understand about death; why some die young, and why so many have to suffer before death.  But I know this, He is with His beloveds each step of the way; He leaves no one, that is in Him, alone to walk from this earth to His glory alone.  I am no longer afraid to die, as I know I will be but an instant here and eternity there in the home He has prepared for me.

The Shepherd of Plenty.  This portion reminded me that the Lord never pours out just a protion of Himself, of His blessings.  No, my cup runneth over, flooding over with His goodness, His mercy and His peace.  There is abundance of all things that come from the throne of my Lord.  Not just enough, but exceeding all expectations of what we ask; more that we need so we may share His love, His peace, His provision with others.

The last part was The Shepherd of Heaven.  Seated at the right hand of the Father.  Our Beloved Shepherd, there next to the Father, assuring us of our rightful place there also.  Waiting to share the home He has prepared for us.  The glory of His presence, His home in Heaven, waiting for us.  The best part of our lives saved for last.  So many times in the past, I have thought things could not get better, but they will.  The best is yet to come; when at last my Shepherd, my Lord, leaves Heaven once again and comes for His Bride.

I have learned the secret, and I want to share that secret with you.  The Shepherd we need, the Perfect Shepherd of the second chance, of the dying, of plenty and the Shepherd of Heaven is Jesus.  My adored Jesus, who I love with all my heart.  Jesus is all I need, He is all you need.  He is all we will ever need, yesterday as we were forgiven, today as we are given our daily bread, our portion for today and tomorrow, with hope of eternal life in Him.  This 11th day of July, 2011, the old pop song comes to mind.  Once I had a secret love, that lived within the heart of me; but the ending is so much better, this secret love is Jesus, and He is never leaving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment