Saturday, July 30, 2011

IT IS FINISHED

John 19:30 "....Jesus said, "It is finished."  With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."

Probably everyone has heard the Gaithers sing "It is Finished" with David Phelps.  I was listening to it yesterday and my spirit was so stirred with thoughts of how Jesus must have felt at that moment.  What thoughts went through His mind as He gave up His spirit; bowing His head.  It was such a revelation to me, the words coming down to me so quickly, trying so hard to remember them all. 

Did He feel joy, elation, sadness, regret?  Perhaps He felt some regret because so many did not receive, did not understand the reason He came to earth, did not believe He was the Son of God, did not understand His message, His words of love.  Sadness as He was leaving His mother, His earthly family and friends, praying that His chosen would remember the teaching, draw upon the love He gave them when they became dismayed at what had taken place.  But I also believe if these emotions went through our Savior, they were soon put aside by the joy and elation of knowing that in three days time He would rise again, He would soon be home with His Father.

Can you feel the strength and forcefulness that He brought with Him when He descended into Hell, into the very kingdom of the enemy, the arch rival that had once been so beautiful and regarded so highly in heaven, so loved; but through jealously, self importance and pride been ousted and made low by his own actions.  Don't you know that Jesus went into that fiery furnace and walked right up to satan and told him that He was taking back all those things that had been taken; death would no longer have a claim on Him or His followers; sin was defeated and the blood had overcome the death of our souls and given us the right to the kingdom of God.  I can imagine satans face as he saw Jesus there, ALIVE and MIGHTY.  I can also see the ridicule satan might have felt as Jesus burst out of Hell and returned to earth to fulfill prophecy that He would rise in three days. And that time had come; Jesus now had possession of the keys of death and destruction; He made a way for us to be victorious over death, over the power of the enemy; that same enemy now subject to being under our feet.

And now, shortly, He was going home.  He had fulfilled the work of the Father.  It was finished, completed.  He had indeed overcome the world. He had walked in a strange world, been subjected to worldly values, had been rejected. Jesus was a King, God's own Son.  How do you think it felt to be rejected by those He had come to save, to show love, to give salvation.  He was use to adoration and honor.   He had taught love, everything He taught was based on love and so many refused that love.

Then with a short time on earth, to show Himself alive and victorious, to show His words were true; bringing forth faith in His followers, to assure them again that He was going to prepare a place for them, for us all, that they were now rightful shareholders of equal status with Him in the Father.  Then He ascended to take His place to sit at the right hand of the Father, to intercede for me, for you, as He had first hand knowledge of what trials we faced, what temptations would come against us.  The victory was won.  It was finished.

When problems arise, are your first thoughts "Oh, what to do"?  The first thought that should come to mind should be "This was finished, satan has no power over me.  This battle was been won, it was won before it ever began.  The victory is ours.  The enemy knows he has lost but if he can make us worry about a problem; place doubt and fear in our hearts, make us sick, get us depressed over circumstances then he has a hold over you. 

But what grace is ours; what mercy and compassion.  The Holy Spirit, the comforter that Jesus promised that would stay with us, never leave us, will be shouting from your spirit "Listen, listen!!"  "The battle is over, it has been won; you are victorious in Jesus' death and resurrection.  We are winners, not losers; we are rightous, sin has been defeated; we have been given keys, we have our own keys to the kingdom of Heaven.  Do not lose you keys....they are love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness for your fellow man; and then there is love, praise, thanksgiving, worship, worship and worship for our Lord.

On this 30th day of July, 2011,  Father, if I misspoke something here, please forgive me.  But I feel so much of what You show me, my heart is so entuned to my Lord.  I know You know my heart, You know how much I love and adore You.  I feel that my Lord Jesus, being given the emotions You gave to us here on earth, would have had some of the very feelings I would have had.  What I might feel at my death, some regrets, some sadness but above all, my jubilation and excitement at finally being able to say, "It is finished"; I am going home to my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment