Friday, August 12, 2011

GODLY CONTENTMENT

1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

This evening as I was driving home, I was thinking about angels, God's heavenly creatures when satan popped into my mind.  Not him literally but thoughts of hin. Here he was, created to glorify God, to serve our Lord and worship Him.  I imagine satan was content for a while, he probably had a wonderful voice, penetrating vocals that would make the most beloved tenors envious.  How long, I wondered, did he love our Lord and worship him before he became discontented with the plan God had for him.  I can see him going around to his friends, to those who thought highly of him as one of God's favorites.  Have you wondered what the angels must have thought, how torn they became as satan tried to turn them away from our Lord, away from the God the angels so loved and worshiped.  I would like to think most turned away from satan and refused to listen to him, but satan got a lot to listen to him.

Haven't you seen this happen in churches everywhere.  And most of the time it is those that are close to the pastor that begin to get dissatisfied, thinking they could do things better and if only the pastor would listen to them, well, everything would be better.  But if you are a true pastor, a real shepherd, the listening you are doing is to the Lord, to the Holy Spirit.  Real Christians, those who know the Lord, will know if their pastor is intuned with the Lord, their spirits will connect.  Now I am not saying pastors never miss what the Lord is saying, nor do I believe they are perfect; they are human, just like you and I and we sometimes make mistakes also.  Thank you Father, for your mercy, for your grace.  But still, these pastors are doing what they feel the Lord leads them to do, for the good of all the people that God has entrusted to them.  But words of discontentment, a little note of "holy" concern here, a few jabs of "do you think this is the best way for "our" congregation to go at this time....enough of this and you begin to make some rumbles throughout the church body.  I have seen a lot of church splits caused over pride and false ownership of the "church".  The church is the Lords.  The building, well it is only a building if the Lord is not there, it might as well be a warehouse, empty without the Spirit of our Lord there.  The sad thing is that after all the strife is over, usually the one that started everything over their jealously and thinking they could do it better; well, they are still not happy, because now their congregation is in shambles and there is no church left.

I can imagine after being thrown out of Heaven, satan and those who chose to follow him, have had second thoughts.  Perhaps not satan, but I can imagine some of his followers have wondered a few times if they had made the biggest mistake ever.  Can you imagine getting your head banged up constantly from those of us who love our Lord and do not let satan and company disrupt our worship.  Of course, they try and may get an edge once and a while but when we recognize the disquise they are wearing and quickly rebuke it, their heads are banged once again.  Yes, I can see some of them hating what they did.  I can also see satan as a tyrant.  As our Lord desires us to do His will, He does not force us to, He gives us free will.  Not so with satan I don't believe.  I imagine it is his way only.

I thank You, my Father, that I am free to chose and that through Your great love for me, through the wooing of the Holy Spirit, I was drawn back to You; I chose You my God.  I love You so much Lord, and I thank You that I have great contentment in You.  I am so content with the life You have given me, with the plans You are unveiling for my life, more each day.  I thank You, Lord, that I have the knowledge of Your mercy, Your grace, Your love.  Thank You, my God, for Your Holy Presence, I never tire of Your presence my Lord.  I love being in Your presence, receiving Your sweet peace, Your great joy.

This 12th day of August, 2011, I am rejoicing in my God.  My gain are the treasures given to me by my Lord, His Holy Spirit, my beautiful loving Bridegroom, and the very presence of the Lord Himself, to give me His love and Godly contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment