Tuesday, April 5, 2011

FANNING THE FLAME

2 Timothy 1:6  "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands."

The Message Bible translates this verse as "And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed. Keep that ablaze!  God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible."

It should not surprise me that the word the Lord gave me this morning about fanning the flame would be a little different than I thought it would be.  The Lord gives me the title, what it would be about, and I look for the scripture that He has hidden and waiting for me in His Word.  Tonight it was so easy, there the scripture was, the exact words almost that He had given me.  But when I read it in the Message Bible, I felt a jolt in my spirit and I knew then it would be different than I thought it would be.  I sincerely thought this was a message to be given to others, somewhat to myself, but to others also.  But when I saw the verse, I knew He was talking to me.  He even sent a confirmation to me today when I was home for my lunch break.

There was a knock on the door when I came home for break and when I answered it, it was a close friend of mine.  She said she did not have much time as she had an appointment but she wanted to give me something.  She handed me a check and said she wanted to sow a seed into my ministry.  I told her I did not have a ministry and she took me in her arms for a big hug and told me "Yes You do".  And I cried, as I am now, knowing now that the Lord was priming me for this tonight, for when I would read this verse and see that He was trying to reaffirm a word He had given me.  I know He has something special planned for me, but He has not told me what.  Just to go, just to be faithful and obedient.  So I am making plans to go, to do what He has for me.  But it seems like He is telling others before I know.  But with that, the words He has previously given me to go, and the scripture tonight, all I can say, is Yes, Lord.  Whatever and whenever Lord, Yes.

Fanning the flame to me means keeping alive that purpose the Lord has for your life.  No letting that plan He has die down, keep it alive in you.  Faith stored up in you, the faith that has built through months of watching the Lord take care of every need, every concern, evidence building faith.  Not some word from another of what the Lord can and will do, but actual knowledge, my knowing, of what He is doing in me, for me.  How He has brought me through so  many things.  This faith, as He has shown me His Works, His faithfulness to me, knows that no matter what or where He leads, what He has planned, I can trust Him to take care of each and every detail.  Nothing will be left out, He will see to everything.

I know I need to be careful not to let negativity come in as the enemy will try his best to forge doubt and unbelief as things come up.  The enemy will do everything to stop me from following the call of my Lord.  You'd think he would learn, but no, he will keep trying.  And I will keep going forth with my Father.  To keep the flame burning strong, I will constantly think on the things of my Father, I will let the precious, sweet Holy Spirit rise up inside of me, drawing me to the Word to drink in the message of my Lord.  I will feed my inner man with the beautiful Word of the Lord.  I will worship my Lord with beautiful songs I can sing along with or with new songs coming from my heart; songs that the Holy Spirit writes on my soul and teaches me how to sing them, songs and words only meant for my God.  From my heart to His heart.  Constantly fanning the flames of love in my heart for my Lord, drawing Him close to me, into that place where He can fine tune my spirit,  my heart, all that is in me,  my mind focused to His will, just refine me so when He puts me in that place, that work He is planning for me, preparing me for, I will be ready.  I will have His Word in my heart, His praise on my lips and on Him, only on Him will my eyes be focused.  He will never have to doubt where my adoration lies or who is in my heart.  He will know I am His alone, ready to do what He calls me to do, if it is to sing praises to Him, teaching others to worship Him with their whole hearts, or to pray for someone, to share His Word, to encourage someone whose faith is weakened by situations, by dispair.  I will be ready.

My Lord, thank You.  You are so wonderful to me, I see how You are working in me, gently, tenderly guiding me in Your ways, Your love.  I adore You, my Lord, I worship You from the depths of my soul, and love, I can never explain the depths of my love for You.  This 5th day of April, 2011, fanning the flame of my love for You in a fire that will never go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment