Tuesday, June 28, 2011

THE INVITED

Matthew 25:35  "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in."

When you have guests, don't you go to special trouble making everything so nice, making sure there are things done to make your guest feel so welcome?  You plan activities so your guest will know that you have gone beyond the norm to see that they enjoyed their stay and felt so welcome each day; made sure they knew you were glad they were with you.

I accepted the Lord as my Savior when I was about 8 years old.  Pretty young, but I had been in church for many years at that time and knew I loved Jesus and that He loved me.  And at that age, it stays pretty basic.  There is not much other than that understanding, being raised in a denominational church.  I did not know much about the Holy Spirit other than what I knew about the Trinity, Three in One.  As I grew up, I am sad to say that my understanding stayed pretty stagnant concerning the Trinity.  In the mid 1980's I began to get my first real grasp of the true relationship between myself and the Lord.  I began to see the importance of the Holy Spirit, His role in my life.  I rededicated my life to the Lord and basically, what that meant, was that I invited Him into my life, into my heart to stay.  I asked my Lord "Come live with me, I invite You to be my guest." 

My Lord has forgiven me for my lack of host manners.  I have forgiven myself, after many attempts and with many discussions with the Father over it.  It was hard.  I invited my Lord into my life, my heart and then after a while, ignored my Guest.  He was left to just sit, alone; see, He never left me, He just waited for me, for my heart to return to Him.  He was there all the time.  I was not.  But He waited, He actually saw me through all the things that went on, had His arms around me through so much pain, hurt, disappointment, and I just never treated Him like the precious Guest He was.

Isn't that just like the Lord?  Waiting for our return; patiently waiting, knowing the true heart we have, not leaving us alone even though He knows I deserved it.  But I did not get what I deserved, instead I got forgiveness, mercy, and so much grace.  One day, I fell in love.  I opened my eyes and saw my Lord standing there, just standing there and smiling at me, so much love showing in His face.  I looked into His eyes and was immediately drawn inside His love.  I fell helplessly, overwhelmingly in love with my Savior.  There was no doubting now, I was in a relationship I knew I had no intention of leaving.  The love that filled my heart that day will never be extinguished, like a fire that will not go out, that is how my love is, burning inside me for my Lord, for my Jesus, my God, my precious Holy Spirit.  Sweet, gentle Spirit, patiently wooing me, showing me little by little how I could trust my God, how He would take me over the mountains, through the valleys, through deep waters and dusty roads.  And He did, He brought me out of some horribly dark places, emerging in the Light of His love, His strength.  Holding me up, supporting me, drawing me into His arms and carrying me when I did not feel I could walk this road any longer.  Yes, I fell in love, so in love.  My sweet Spirit, you knew just what to do, to draw me to the Shepherd who would no longer let me stray, but would bring me back home, back to where He, my Guest waited to be served.

I have learned how to provide for my Guest, how to treat Him as I should have always.  I don't try to make up for what I did not do, as that is not His desire.  He doesn't remember what I did not do, He works with what I am now, what I do now.  I make His days bright by living a life totally dedicated to Him, letting the love light He gives me shine for all to see; giving encouragement to others that are down, that need to know of His great love for them, sharing what I know, who I love with them.  Evenings, my evenings are filled with words and songs of love that I sing out to my Lord, sharing my heart with Him, making Him smile as I dance around Him with joy.  Nights, o my nights, are spent in the arms of my Beloved, with my head on His shoulder, my hand on His cheek, loving Him with my heart, my soul, resting peacefully, knowing that He will be there holding me as I sleep, keeping me safe, knowing I trust Him completely.  In the night when I awaken for a little while, I sing softly songs of love, adoration, and I worship Him, sweetly as He gently lulls me back to my sleep.  In the morning, I wake up, refreshed by His grace, His strength.  I begin the day in worship to Him alone, in prayer and reading of His Word.  I listen for His plans for the day, seeing what I need to do to make His day beautiful, to please Him.

Invited He was years ago, the Guest, ignored for so long, but patient; and now the Honored....I can no longer call Him a guest.  My Lord, my Beloved, I do not want You to be a guest with me any longer.  Please, be my.....I don't know how to say this; just stay with me.  Please make me Your permanent home.  Not as a guest because I never want You to leave.  This is Your home, Lord, my Lord.  My heart, my soul, my spirit belong to You.  You belong here, with me, my constant Companion.  Your dwelling place forever.

This 28th day of June, 2011, my Beloved Bridegroom, I invite you to stay.....never to leave me; until such a day as You take me home with You for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment