Sunday, November 4, 2012

LET IT BE ME

Mark 10:37  "They replied, "Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory."

As the disciples argued over who was to be the most important, the ones that should be on the right and the left, sitting with Jesus in His glory, I feel it must have saddened my Lord greatly, His knowing that their desire, although being heartfelt, was not truly understood.  Even, the mother of James and John, she came to Jesus asking for favor for her sons.  He asked of them "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" (Matthew 20:22)  He knew that they had no knowledge of what was to come, and He also knew that in their human form, their fear would betray them.

I was left wondering about this myself.  I love the Lord so much.  I desire to be with Him.  What I would have given, I think so often, to have walked with the crowds of people, along those dirt roads with Him.  To have seen the miracles, to have heard His Words, the lessons He taught; to have seen those eyes of love looking into mine.....  How would I have felt listening to the disciples arguing foolishly among themselves to be the ones He would choose to be near him......would my mind, would my heart have wanted that place for myself?  Would you have desired that place also?

After the question was asked, the desire made known, the air must have been so still.  I can imagine the birds even stopped their singing to listen to what the Lord would say, how would he answer them?  As the Lord spoke again, he assured them that they would indeed drink of His cup....but the places next to Him were not His to grant, but the Father, who had already prepared this for His chosen.  Drink of His cup.....the disciples certainly did, in time, do just this.  And yes, my friends, those of us that choose to follow our Lord, to serve others as He served, to speak His truth to all, and to show His love without fail....we will all drink of His cup. 

We are to serve others, put ourselves last, not first, fearlessly speak of truth as God leads us, show His love, His compassion, His forgiveness to all.....keeping nothing of Him for ourselves, but to give freely of His love to all.....we can never run out of the things of the Lord, as we give out, He pours back into us.  True servants of the Lord must always be willing to sit in the back, to serve quietly but consistently with His love, His strength, His joy.

After thinking on all these things, knowing that drinking of His cup could bring condemnation, hatred and scorn from the world, criticism, bitterness, persecution.....and yes, even death....this cup, this very cup that gave us all life, could one day, determine our death also.....

.......would you still be clamouring to be first, pushing ahead crying out "let it be me...", would you still desire this place......will you?......will I?.......Selah.

Let us pray that we will all walk the walk that we talk; only with the strength, the power, the Spirit of the Lord will this be possible.  Let me take the place You have designed for me, my God, and let me do Your will, only Your will.  Let me be the servant You desire of me to be, let me live my life for You, for You alone.  More of You, my King, so much less of me.

11-04-12

No comments:

Post a Comment